This is the question most people ask, wondering if this food or that is good for their diet or not. And calories in this regard are the amount of energy we get from the foods we consume.
As a matter of fact, consuming more energy than we need is a guaranteed way to gain more weight. While consuming fewer calories will lead to weight, fat, and muscle mass loss.
Below, we offer you a complete guide to calories, daily intake, and recommendations to stay healthy based on your gender, age, and many other factors.
What are calories?
Calories are units that measure the energy content of foods and beverages. And the amount of calories you need depends on a number of factors, including:
- Age: some children and teenagers may require more calories.
- Size: your height and weight may affect how quickly your body consumes calories.
- Lifestyle: your level of physical activity is an important factor.
How many calories do I need on average every day?
As we clarified earlier, the answer to this question will depend on a number of factors including: your age, height, current weight, activity level, metabolic health, some hormones, specific medicines, etc.
Taking these factors into consideration, here are the average calories recommended per day:
- For Women:
- For younger women in their early 20s or active women who walk more than 5 km/day, it is recommended to consume at least 2,200 calories per day.
- For the average woman aged 26-50, she needs to consume about 2,000 calories per day to maintain her weight.
- For women over 50, they generally require around 1,800 calories per day.
Kindly notice that these estimates do not apply to pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- For Men:
- For young men aged 19-25, they should consume 2,800 calories per day on average. This intake could increase up to 3,000 calories per day if they are active.
- For the average man aged 26-45, he needs to consume about 2,600 calories per day to maintain his weight.
- For active men who walk more than 5 km/day, it is recommended to consume 2,800-3,000 calories per day.
- For moderately active men aged 46-65, they need an average of 2,400 calories per day.
- For men over 66, they generally require around 2,200 calories per day.
- For Children:
- The average toddler generally requires 1,200–1,400 calories per day.
- The moderately active teenager requires 2,000–2,800 calories per day.
- Active teenage boys require even more calories…
How to maintain a healthy weight?
Maintaining a healthy weight requires you to balance the amount of calories you consume in foods and beverages with the amount of calories you burn through physical activities.
In other words, controlling your daily calorie intake could help lose or gain weight. You must also understand that in order to lose weight, you must reduce your calorie intake by 500 fewer calories than your body needs, which will help you lose .45 kg of your body weight every week.
Ultimately, and as we mentioned earlier, because the amount of required calories varies from one person to the other based on multiple factors; it is recommended that you consult with a certified doctor or physician to determine how much calories you need every day to achieve the bodyweight you want.
How to lose weight and burn calories?
Brain metabolism usually consumes around 20% of our calorie intake, while most of the remaining calories are used for basal metabolism in functions such as blood circulation, digestion, and breathing.
And here are a few tips for losing weight and burning energy in a more effective way:
- Eat breakfast and regular meals rich in proteins and fibers.
- Consume at least 400 grams of fruit and vegetables every day.
- Lift weights and exercise more regularly.
- Drink more water and less sugary soft drinks and fruit juices.
- Get enough sleep and avoid eating anything 2 hours before you go to bed.